December 25, 2010

Christmas Update

So this is Christmas. It certainly doesn't feel like it. I was scared of this days but to be honest they're just normal days. Of course I'm sad to be alone but it's not just because it is Christmas. I guess it is because during this time of year you just hear and see more people talking and being with their family that it makes it harder for someone that never had one.

But apart from this Chrismas is just a normal day.
Yesterday on Christmas Eve I thought I would have the worst time. I did feel sad and angry, I cried a little and let all my emotions out. It didn't have anything to do with Christmas, it was just the usual grief and anger coming out. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I know Christmas isn't over yet and  then there is also New Year's but I'm not scared anymore.

I'm having some pain since yesterday but it already got a little better. Suddenly it was +10°C instead of -5°C and it started raining. That kind of knocked me out, I guess that was also the reason I felt so tired lately.

As it is Christmas I want to tell you how it normally looks like here.
Did you know that in this part of the world we don't think Santa is bringing the presents? Maybe because most houses don't have open chimneys.. I don't know.
We think - or at least we tell children - that the "Christkind" brings the presents. Literally that would mean that little baby Jesus adjusts his diaper, travels around the world and brings you your presents. But the "Christkind" is mostly portrayed as an angel, a female angel with blond long locks and a crown. It brings the presents on the 24th in the evening and we also open them on that evening.
But we don't forget about Santa. He has a special day in December where he also brings us little presents, mostly chocolate. In the night to the 6th of December children leave their boots in front of the door and when they wake up in the morning Santa (here we call him "Nikolaus") left little presents in them. Of course only for the good children.

Enjoy the Holidays.

5 comments:

  1. Interesting! Thanks for sharing. And just so you know,..I was not alone today and I still felt as though I were. I too cried alot. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was alone for Christmas too. It was hard, and I too shed tears. Remember us here on blogger/twitter'land as we always care and are always here for you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing the interesting ways in which Christmas is celebrated there. I was not alone for Christmas, but that did not keep me from feeling alone. It's hard, because then I feel like I have to put on my "happy face". I know why the holidays are such a challenge and it goes back to childhood, but at Christmas the family would rather pretend. It's okay and I am trying to look at it as just a day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is pretty cool to learn that. I hope the rain eases up and brings you less physical pain. Happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh. I loved the story of Christkind! And Santa/ Nikolaus comes there early? I guess some part of the world tour has to happen sooner. I don't know. :) About the pain- I sure hope my hugs get you through a bit, with C's of course playing a major role! ;) ;)

    ReplyDelete